Faculty of Electrical Engineering

Czech Technical University in Prague

CTU in Prague

History

On February 3, 1707, the Austrian Emperor Joseph I sent a written letter to the Czech General Estates, requesting the foundation of an engineering school. This school was established as the Czech Institute of Engineering Education, reorganized in 1806 as the Prague Polytechnic, and, after the disintegration of the former AustroHungarian Empire in 1918, transformed in to the Czech Technical University in Prague.

Electricial Engineering as an independent subject has been taught at the Czech Technical University since the 1884/85 academic year. A separate Department of Electrical Engineering was established in 1891/92; and since the 1910/1911 academic year 1910/1911 there has been an independent curriculum in Electrical Engineering at the School of Mechanical Engineering.

In 1920 the School of Mechanical Engineering was reorganized under the new name of the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering with two autonomous sections (departments): the Section of Electrical Engineering and the Section of Mechanical Engineering. The Section of Electrical Engineering comprised five independent institutes: the Institute of Electrical Machines, the Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Electricity, the Institute of Power Networks and Stations, the Institute of Electrical Drives and Railways and the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications. In 1937 a new Institute of High Frequences was added.

In the 1950/51 academic year the Faculty of Electrical Engineering was made separate from the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. During its existence it has conferred some 26,000 Electrical Engineer degrees (equivalent to aMaster's degree) and 1450 PhD degrees. Nowadays, there are 4,300 students enrolled in all forms of study.

Of these, 430 are doctoral students. The faculty has 420 teachers.

Deans

Mission statement

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering, the Czech Technical University in Prague educates new experts in the fields of electrical engineering, telecommunications, automation, informatics and computer science.

It provides conditions for scientific work, educates new scientific workers, works as a centre for scientific and educational activities in all above mentioned areas.

Responsible person: prof. Ing. Jiří Matas, Ph.D.